Choosing a live answering service for your business is one of the most important things you can do to establish yourself as a professional enterprise. But it can be a bit of a minefield choosing from the myriad services out there. Today, we compare Smith.ai to Setmore Live Booking.
Setup Fees & Trials
- No setup fee
- 30-day/10-call free trial (whichever comes first)
- No setup fee
- First month is $1
Discussion: Essentially, in both cases your first month is free or nearly free. However, with Smith.ai, your usage is tracked per call, not per minute, and you're never charged for spam calls, unsolicited sales calls, or wrong numbers. With Setmore, if you exceed 90 minutes of call time during your first month, you'll pay $1.25 per minute.
Smith.ai and Setmore both charge monthly. Here are the plans offered by both companies:
- $60 for 10 live receptionist calls and 1 live phone transfer
- $150 for 30 live receptionist calls and 2 live phone transfers
- $450 for 100 live receptionist calls and 5 live phone transfers
- Custom plans available
- $89 for 90 minutes
- Custom plans available
Discussion: Live transfers are part of our commitment to service at Smith.ai, but they are not available with Setmore at the time of writing. Sometimes important calls can’t wait, and we are happy to transfer high-priority calls to you or other numbers (perhaps members of your staff). You can even choose which types of calls you want us to transfer (like new clients or VIPs), and whether to receive call-transfer notifications via phone or Slack.
- $6/call on the $60/month plan
- $5/call on the $150/month plan
- $4.50/call on the $400/month plan
- $1.25 for each additional minute
Discussion: If your average call is 5 minutes (according to the 2015 Invoca Call Intelligence Index Report, an average business call is 4:52), you're better off paying overage on a Smith.ai plan. Even at $6/call, that's only $1.20 per minute, and it only decreases from there.
Both Smith.ai and Setmore Live Booking offer the following features:
- Live receptionists
- Appointment scheduling
- Integration with Setmore Appointment Scheduling
- Messages emailed to you
- U.S.-based receptionists
Smith.ai offers the following additional features:
- Live call transfers
- Outbound calls by your virtual receptionists
- Integration with all major calendaring and scheduling software programs
- Integration with popular CRMs, like Clio, Lexicata, Capsule CRM, and more.
- Integration with helpdesk ticketing software programs
- Ability to map client history to the incoming number so clients receive personalized attention
- Messages texted to you or forwarded to a Slack channel
- Custom greetings and after-hours voicemail
- Custom call handling procedures
- Lead qualification & lead intake form completion
- Daily call summary reports
- No charge for spam calls or wrong numbers
Setmore offers the following additional features:
- Calls less than 30 seconds are free
- 24-hour call forwarding
Smith.ai syncs with your business holistically, from integrating with your CRM, to working with any calendaring program you've chosen, to customizing every greeting and FAQ on file for your business. It’s like having your own fine-tuned receptionist without paying the high cost of a salaried in-house staff person.
Setmore basically offers a no-frills live booking service whose primary job is to book appointments on your Setmore calendar; they'll take messages for you, too. But that's about it.
Smith.ai Customer Spotlight
We've just told you a lot of benefits of using Smith.ai, but don't just take it from us. Here's what a Smith.ai customer has to say:
"I started using Smith when my paralegal/receptionist suffered a disabling injury. They are very, very helpful folks who do their job well. They have a really good method for handling legal clients without me having to provide training and are great at getting me good basic information before I return a phone call. They are also very polite, and my clients compliment how warm they are to them. At this time, I won't have to replace my paralegal/receptionist, and I have better phone coverage than before."
- Devon Slovensky, Slovensky Law PLLC
Learn more about Smith.ai
At Smith.ai our goal is to provide the most personal and cost effective receptionist service for your business. We would love to talk with you about your business needs and help you choose the plan that’s best for you. You can call us at (650) 727-6484 Monday through Friday between 6 AM and 6 PM. You may also reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.